Published by: Department for Education
Published on: 15th January 2020
Specialist support coming for schools
Six schools have been selected to act as regional teaching school hubs in five test areas. The six hubs will receive funding of £1.1m between them each academic year to support between 200 to 300 other schools in their area.
The six schools are:
- North: Harrogate Grammar School and Red Kite Learning Trust
- Lancashire and West Yorkshire: Copthorne Primary School and Exceed Academies Trust
- East Midlands and Humber: Silverdale School and Chorus Education Trust
- East of England and North East London: Harris Academy Chafford Hundred and Harris Federation
- East of England and North East London: Saffron Walden County High School and Saffron Academy Trust
- South West: Kingsbridge Community College
For schools who need more support, the initiative will give direct access to the expertise of school leaders with a track record of making improvements in challenging circumstances.
The hubs will improve school-to-school support and strengthen staff recruitment and retention through a three-year programme of support. Support might include delivering tailored professional development for teachers and hosting visits, or deploying system leaders, to offer advice and guidance to local schools.
This forms part of a new scheme, launched by the department last year, to simplify and strengthen how the government supports school standards, building on the positive successes of the Teaching Schools and National Leaders of Education programmes.