Home office 3

European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss trainee teachers who were living in the UK by 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme in order to continue living, working and studying in the UK. The deadline is 30 June 2021.

Overseas nationals arriving in the UK from 1 January 2021 come under the new points-based immigration system. Trainee teachers arriving from this date, including those from the EEA and Switzerland, need to apply for a visa. ITT providers may need to become visa sponsors if they want to recruit trainees who are not UK or Irish nationals. There are restrictions on state schools becoming visa sponsors for trainee teachers.

The Graduate visa route will open for applications on 1 July 2021. It will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK and who have been sponsored by a Home Office licensed Student sponsor. Those on the Graduate route will be able to study, work or look for work in the UK for up to 2 years after completing their studies (3 years for PhD students), without a sponsor. This includes working as a teacher or training as a teacher on a salaried or unsalaried initial teacher training course, if the course does not meet the requirements for a Student visa. Concessions are in place for students who have been unable to travel to the UK due to COVID-19: applicants who began their studies in autumn 2020 have until 21 June 2021 to enter the UK with permission as a Student (updated from the previous date of 6 April 2021) in order to be eligible to apply to the Graduate route.

More information is available on gov.uk, including new guidance for international trainees and guidance for ITT providers:

Leave a Comment