The new Student visa route, which falls under the UK’s new points-based immigration system, is now open for applications. This route is open to all international students (i.e. trainees on unsalaried ITT courses), including those from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

However, EEA and Swiss students who are resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 should not apply to this route and are instead eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme – if their application is successful then this will allow them to continue living, working and studying in the UK after 30 June 2021 without applying through the points-based immigration system. EEA and Swiss students coming to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 will need to apply to the new Student visa route before they arrive; this includes those who begin their course remotely in autumn 2020.

Those who are on a Student visa will need to be sponsored by their ITT provider, which must be a Home Office licensed Student sponsor. State-funded schools cannot sponsor Student visas. More information about how to become a visa sponsor and visa routes which do not require a sponsor is available at the guidance listed below.

International students can apply for a Student visa up to 6 months before their course starts if they’re applying from outside the UK and up to 3 months before it starts if they’re applying from inside the UK.

Further guidance is available about the new immigration system. You can:


Leave a Comment